Calcium Carbonate Industry Overview
The global calcium carbonate market size was valued at USD 42.5 billion in 2021 and is expected to reach USD 68.4 billion by 2030, at a CAGR of 5.4% from 2022 to 2030.
Increasing demand for paper from packaging applications and hygiene-related products like tissue paper is a major growth driver for the market. However, the product demand witnessed a decline in 2020 owing to the outbreak of the coronavirus. The pandemic caused widespread shutdowns across the globe, which significantly impacted the economy worldwide in the first half of 2020. With the ease in restrictions in the second half of the year, companies are putting in extra efforts to resume their operations, which is a positive sign for market growth.
Gather more insights about the market drivers, restrains and growth of the Global Calcium Carbonate Market
The U.S. has been a prominent destination for the product considering high demand from industries including paints and coatings, adhesives and sealants, and paper manufacturing. Paper is the largest application segment of the market and the U.S. is amongst the world’s largest paper manufacturers. Despite the pandemic that majorly impacted the country’s economy, the demand for calcium carbonate continues to persist, especially in the paper production sector owing to a growing emphasis on cleanliness.
The market for calcium carbonate has been hampered by supply chain instability, a slowdown in raw material production, trade movement slowing, and a decline in construction, vehicle, and paint and coatings demand due to the COVID-19 pandemic. Calcium carbonate demand is tied directly to numerous industries that are witnessing business uncertainty, such as automotive, paper, plastics, and building and construction.
A drop in paper consumption from corporate offices, schools, and universities, and the newspaper and printing industries has hampered the growth of the paper industry. However, new application categories including hygiene paper products, food packaging, medical specialty sheets, and corrugated packaging have provided opportunities for the business, which is driving up the demand for calcium carbonate, thus reducing the pandemic’s impact to some extent.
According to the American Forest & Paper Association, the U.S. paper and wood products industry recorded high levels of tissue production in February and March 2020. The U.S. mills produced around 700 kilotons of tissue in March. Factors like lockdown and extra hygiene concerns led to panic buying and stockpiling of tissues and other cleaning products, thereby benefitting the market growth.
Despite the demand for calcium carbonate in the paper segment, the market witnessed a dip in 2021 owing to restricted transportation, a halt in manufacturing operations for non-essential industries, and the shutdown of mines across various regions. Several market players reported negative sales and profits for the first half of 2021.
For instance, LafargeHolcim, an integrated player in the market, reported a 14% profit fall in Q1 of 2020 as the pandemic caused building sites to shut down around the world. The company mines limestone produces calcium carbonate and uses it to manufacture cement, which is further catered to the construction industry. The company had to stop its mining activities in March 2020 in Meghalaya, India due to lockdown; however, the operations resumed after a couple of months as mining activities were allowed by the state government with the enforcement of social distancing norms and proper hygiene conditions.
Calcium Carbonate Market Segmentation
Based on the Application Insights, the market is segmented into Paper, Paints & Coatings, Plastics, Adhesives & Sealants and Others.
- The paper segment emerged as the largest application segment in 2021 and accounted for a revenue share of over 40.0%.
- The paints and coatings segment emerged as the second-largest application segment in 2021. The product is used in several applications in the paints and coatings sector.
Based on the Calcium Carbonate Regional Insights, the market is segmented into North America, Europe, Asia Pacific, Central & South America, and Middle East & Africa
- Asia Pacific dominated the global market and accounted for a revenue share of more than 35.0% in 2021. The region is anticipated to expand further at a steady CAGR from 2022 to 2030 due to rising investments in the infrastructure development and manufacturing sector.
- North America was the second-largest regional market in 2021. Though the region has been severely impacted by the pandemic, the end-use industries of the market have begun their operations at minimal capacity considering the rise in consumer demand.
Market Share Insights:
- February 2022: The Sherwin-Williams Company entered a deal with the city of Statesville, the state of North Carolina, and Iredell County to considerably increase its architectural coatings and paint manufacturing capacity and open a more extensive distribution facility in Statesville, North Carolina.
- March 2020: Anglo Pacific Group PLC announced entering into a financing agreement with Incoa Performance Minerals LLC for funding the construction of a calcium carbonate-associated infrastructure in the Dominican Republic.
Key Companies Profile:
The market is highly competitive as various players are integrated across the value chain with their presence in mining operations, processing facilities, and the application sector. Mergers & acquisitions are among the key strategic initiatives adopted by most of the players to sustain their leadership and market share.
Some prominent players in the global Calcium Carbonate market include
- AGSCO Corp.
- Blue Mountain Minerals
- Carmeuse Lime & Stone Company
- GCCP Resources
- GLC Minerals, LLC
- Greer Limestone Company
- Gulshan Polyols Ltd.
- ILC Resources
- J.M. Huber Corp.
- Midwest Calcium Carbonates
- Mineral Technologies
- Mississippi Lime
- Mountain Materials, Inc.
- NALC, LLC
- Parchem Fine & Specialty Chemicals
- The National Lime & Stone Company
- United States Lime & Minerals, Inc.
Order a free sample PDF of the Calcium Carbonate Market Intelligence Study, published by Grand View Research.
About Grand View Research
Grand View Research is a full-time market research and consulting company registered in San Francisco, California. The company fully offers market reports, both customized and syndicates, based on intense data analysis. It also offers consulting services to business communities and academic institutions and helps them understand the global and business scenario to a significant extent. The company operates across multitude of domains such as Chemicals, Materials, Food and Beverages, Consumer Goods, Healthcare, and Information Technology to offer consulting services.
Company Name: Grand View Research, Inc.
Contact Person: Sherry James, Corporate Sales Specialist – U.S.A.
Email: Send Email
Address:Grand View Research, Inc. 201 Spear Street 1100 San Francisco, CA 94105, United States
City: San Francisco
Country: United States