Gesture Recognition Industry Overview
The gesture recognition market size was valued at USD 14.08 billion in 2021 and is anticipated to reach USD 70.18 billion by 2030, at a CAGR of 19.1% from 2022 to 2030.
The market is expected to benefit from increasing per capita incomes globally, technological advancements, and increasing digitization across industries such as automotive, consumer electronics, and healthcare. The rising use of consumer electronics, growing implementation of the Internet of Things (IoT), and increasing need for comfort and convenience in product usage are also driving market growth.
Gather more insights about the market drivers, restrains and growth of the Global Gesture Recognition Market
Gesture recognition is the conversion of a hominid movement or gesture to a machine command using a mathematical algorithm. The technology enables any person to interact with a machine using human gestures and movements, such as the movement of hands, fingers, arms, head, or the entire body. It allows the user to operate and control devices merely with these gestures without the need for physical devices such as touch screens, keyboards, and mouses. For instance, users can move a cursor by simply pointing their finger at a screen.
Gesture recognition technology has improved the usability of several machines and the adoption of many innovative applications in various industries. It processes the information conveyed by humans through gestures or speech. The machine identifies the gesture types and converts sign language symbols into text through language recognition technology. The direction in which the user points helps process and interpret gestures with accuracy.
Hand gesture recognition is one of the most popular research areas in Human-Machine Interaction (HMI) and Human-Computer Interaction (HCI). Its applications range from medical rehabilitation to consumer electronics control. Different sensing techniques are used to identify hand gestures and obtain signals for pattern recognition.
Several kinds of prototypes have been developed to make hand gesture recognition more cost-effective than traditional interface devices such as keyboards and mouses. The increased interest of leading vendors can be attributed to the fact that hand gestures are highly expressive and interact well with the environment or share information efficiently.
Gesture Recognition Market Segmentation
Based on the Technology Insights, the market is segmented into Touch-based and Touchless.
- The touch-based technology segment dominated the market in 2021 with a revenue share of 53.2%. Among its two sub-segments, namely multi-touch system, and motion gesture technology, the multi-touch system sub-segment dominated with a revenue share of more than 54.6%.
- In the touchless segment, the 3D vision technologies sub-segment dominated the market in 2021 with a revenue share of 26.5%.
Based on the Industry Insights, the market is segmented into Automotive, Consumer Electronics, Healthcare and Others.
- The consumer electronics segment dominated the market in 2021 and accounted for a revenue share of 60.8%.
- The automotive and healthcare sectors have rigorously adopted gesture recognition technology. This technology helps users interact with computers and other devices with ease and enhances human-machine interaction.
Based on the Gesture Recognition Regional Insights, the market is segmented into North America, Europe, Asia Pacific, South America, and Middle East & Africa (MEA).
- In terms of revenue, the Asia Pacific region dominated the market with a share of 36.6% in 2021.
- The market in MEA and South American regions is expected to showcase promising growth over the forecast period. MEA has a dynamic young population with one of the highest global per capita incomes.
Market Share Insights:
- September 2021: Alcatraz AI, a provider of physical security technologies solutions, introduced its new authentication solution, the Rock. The solution helped minimize touchpoints and offered facemask verification to ensure the maximum safety of employees amid the COVID-19 pandemic.
- January 2020: Cerence Inc., a developer of AI assistance technology for automobiles, introduced innovations across its Clarence Drive platform, including button-free, gesture-based interactions to create a natural and human-like in-car experience.
Key Companies Profile:
Domestic players are also showing tremendous growth potential and are attracting big investors. Several companies are expanding gesture recognition use cases for developing their gesture recognition consumer products, further intensifying market competition. Market players are focusing on strategies such as partnerships, business expansions, new product developments, and contracts to expand their market share.
Some prominent players in the global Gesture Recognition market include
- Alphabet Inc.
- Apple Inc.
- eyeSight Technologies Ltd
- Infineon Technologies AG
- Intel Corporation
- Microchip Technology Incorporated
- Microsoft Corporation
- QUALCOMM Incorporated
- Synaptics Incorporated
Order a free sample PDF of the Gesture Recognition Market Intelligence Study, published by Grand View Research.
About Grand View Research
Grand View Research is a full-time market research and consulting company registered in San Francisco, California. The company fully offers market reports, both customized and syndicates, based on intense data analysis. It also offers consulting services to business communities and academic institutions and helps them understand the global and business scenario to a significant extent. The company operates across multitude of domains such as Chemicals, Materials, Food and Beverages, Consumer Goods, Healthcare, and Information Technology to offer consulting services.
Company Name: Grand View Research, Inc.
Contact Person: Sherry James, Corporate Sales Specialist – U.S.A.
Email: Send Email
Address:Grand View Research, Inc. 201 Spear Street 1100 San Francisco, CA 94105, United States
City: San Francisco
Country: United States